Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Treehouse (More Poetic Mediocrity)


 Climbing the tree 

Climbing the tree in my pink skirt
(someone taught me skirts were ideal for every day's climbing)
strong branches with ample footing
filling my shirt with as many ripe purples ones as I could find
before descending
where I knew you'd be waiting
to share the figs

Did you know about fig leaves?
It is a wonder Eve and Adam chose this leaf
(I pity them now more than I had before)
They itch.
I learned this as the minutes accumulated
each sticky itchy spot 
transferred to my body
worth every pound of figs

I hope Eden's expats walked away with several pounds
before the gates closed behind them and their itchy underwear.



a woman picking apples from the tree out our window
My New Home
There's an apple tree a-front my house, 
a guava tree behind.  
I climbed the wooden ladder
twisted 
and pulled myself a snack.

Last night the man who advises neighborhood organizations
advised us on Marxism
I got "infastructura" and "superstructura"
and forces of labor
but not much else.

This is a country of revolutionaries
a people of who've struggled for livelihood 
despite 500 years of colonial or (casi)-colonial rule
Here I am a student of everything
Even yesterday's advisor articulated that marxism 
in ideology 
is different than marxism 
embodied
(Yes, I understood that part too)
A marxist equality in salary means something different to me
than to the woman selling my papayas
and growing my coca
living on $2
a day.

I will tell you also
that I almost adore the leak 
in my bedroom ceiling.
I've made good friends with the blue plastic bowl
who catches drips
and only comes out to play 
when the rain is tan fuerte
The rain that sings the most lovely song I know 
sobre el techo
(the song my lover once sang to me).

Meanwhile the distant kind sounds of love being made
(don't tell them I'm writing this)
Is there not something good --when you pass quickly by any discomfort--
of a couple renewing their vows in breath and touch
while their hija sleeps by the side
That is a home.
So I sit here saying Bless them, Bless them, Bless them.


A couple clips of rehearsing in our living room for Desde los SueƱos.  The bad singer who joins at the end is me, trying to learn the song!

2 comments:

  1. That photo of you dancing over the Blockades are so YOU :)!!! Nice shot btw :). Hope you are having a blast in SA!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, Gringa :), forgot to mention: guess where I ended up being a few days ago?? MINNEAPOLIS!! Went there for a couple of days, it was cool, I like your new hometown (well, kind of) :). Great place, really nice people as well.
    Hope you are doing great,
    The Gringo (well, kind of) :)

    ReplyDelete